Sunday, July 25, 2010

Back to Byron Bay

At this point, I am just trying to let everyone know WHAT I have been doing in Australia, rather than WHEN I have been doing it, because at the end of June....
Jen, Geoff, Lisa, Lauren and I rented a car and drove down to Byron Bay, a coastal town in New South Wales, the state below Queensland (where I live).
We drove up to the Cape Byron Lighthouse, which is Australia's most easterly light (being situated on the most easterly point of the mainland). It is also Australia's most powerful lighthouse.




We spent a while walking around, taking pictures, and we were so lucky enough to have spotted some whales in the distance! It is common for humpback whales to be near Byron Bay between the months of June and November each year. It was so incredible to see huge splashes in the distance, and Geoff got some really incredible pictures!


After a bit of whale watching, we walked down to the beach for Lauren, Lisa and Jen's last trip to an Australian beach. From there, we headed into the town, had some lunch and amazing ice cream, and then headed out of Byron.
On the way home we decided to try and find our way to Mount Tambourine. We made it most of the way, but because we were tired, we decided not to hike any of the trails, but instead stopped to take a few photos of the sunset. While we were on a back road, I had my first Australian driving experience AND we saw wild wallabies! It was so strange to be driving on the opposite side of the road and the opposite side of the car, but it was definitely something I wanted to do before I left.

1 comment:

  1. Dani, "After a bit of whale watching," view of closest encounters with Humpback Whales...
    http://www.whalewatchingcruises.net.au/

    ReplyDelete