Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Last Week in Australia =[

I wrote this post during my last week in Australia, and thought it might be nice to complete my blog. Better late than never, right?

I can't believe it has actually come time to write this post. I fly out at 11 am on Wednesday, July 28th, and arrive in Minnesota at 8:25 pm on the 28th. It seems like a short trip, but because of a 15 hour time difference, my travel time is actually closer to 30 hours.

There were so many things that I kept telling myself I wanted to do while I was in Brisbane, but I kept telling myself I would do it all 'after finals'. Well, after finals, I spent my last few days with the rest of my study abroad group before everyone headed out. Of the 12 'AustraLearn' study abroad students, everyone was out of Australia by the 30th of June except for me. I initially was supposed to fly home June 26th, but decided to extend my trip a month, and I am SO glad I did!
These last couple of weeks since getting back from Melbourne, I have been trying to get as much done as I can before I have to leave.

After Mikey, Vince and I flew back from Melbourne, we were home for a few days before Mikey and I drove up to Gladstone, his hometown, and we spent a week there. Mikey had to do a two day first aid course and wanted to spend a bit of time with his family, so it was a really chill week. We left Gladstone on a Friday, and Mikey's little brother Scott and his best friend Sam rode back to Brisbane with us to spend the weekend. The three boys had tickets to see the Everton vs Brisbane Roar soccer game on Saturday, and Vince had a 'Meet and Greet' for the new study abroad students who moved into the apartments, so I was able to meet some of them.


The next few days, Mikey and I were able to get a few of things done that I really wanted to do. The Queensland Museum is located right around the corner from our apartment, and although I have walked past it a million times, I never really knew what it consisted of. The whole museum was filled with a bunch of different exhibits, it was really cool!
Another day, we went to the Ron Mueck exhibit at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA). Ron Mueck is an artist who creates really incredible life-like sculptures. Everything is exactly spot on, except for their size. The sculptures are either really small or really big. The same day, we went to the Sciencentre as well. The Sciencentre is part of the Queensland Museum, and is a really interactive museum, so Mikey and I had a lot of fun playing around. Mikey and I spent a night in Gold Coast, walked around the city and relaxed. On my last night in Australia, Mikey had an evening lecture, so I decided to sit in it with him and his Uni friends.






That night, after getting home from class, Mikey and I went up to Mount Coot-tha, an overlook onto Brisbane, and sat and hung out for a while.

I spent hours getting the rest of my things together. My stupid suitcase split open because I stuffed it too full, so I had to sew it back together and make sure all of the things I bought would fit! Packing was not my ideal way to spend my last night, but after finally getting that done, I hung out in 603 until late in the morning, and finally went to bed for my last time in Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment